News

Thousands to flock to Sydney NYE fireworks


Sydneysiders have been told to stay safe ahead of New Year’s Eve celebrations as the harbour city records more than 20,000 new coronavirus infections ahead of its iconic fireworks.

Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore said the sky will light up with whales, cubes, sunflowers and seashells in a display involving more than 80,000 pyrotechnic effects.

“Sydney’s New Years Eve celebration is one of the largest and most technologically advanced fireworks display in the world,” Ms Moore said on Friday.

“It promotes Australia and our beautiful city on the global stage.”

In between the 9pm and midnight displays, a “sea of blue lights” will dance above the city at 10pm to acknowledge the work of frontline workers during the pandemic, she said.

The show will be synchronised to a soundtrack created by electronic music duo The Presets.

The Lord Mayor said 17,000 tickets had been booked to watch the fireworks and she requested that only people with a booking at a vantage point or hospitality venue come into the city.

“People should be vaccinated, use QR codes, wear a mask and practice social distancing,” she said.

NSW Tourism Minister Stuart Ayres said this year’s celebrations would acknowledge the community’s resilience.

“There will be less people out around the city because people are taking personal responsibility for their own health and making those conscious decisions to stay home,” Mr Ayres said on Friday.

He asked people to stay safe by following public health orders, social distancing and wearing a mask, particularly when indoors or “where you feel it’s required”.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.