7. Forzanini has come back in a great frame of mind with two tough wins and there’s no reason she can’t make it three on end. Not sure a heavy track is really her go so to win so impressively at Canterbury, beating a handy type, is a great sign. She’s drawn well and an improving surface is in her favour. Sure to be in the finish. 1. Irish Angel had a bit too much to do the way the race was run last start at Randwick but she still found the line from last into third placing. Her real asset is her wet track ability but it was a soft 5 the other day and she was still effective. 4. Celestine is a real query at her first run for Matthew Dale without any public trials. Victorian form was handy including a Group 3 placing last year. Big market watch. 2. Salina Dreaming is another query runner. She’s very talented and has a great first-up record but can’t get any guide on her from two trials where she’s been out the back both times.
How to play it: Forzanini to win.
Race 6 – 3:20PM MAROUBRA MILE (1550m)
If 1. Purple Sector can run up to his superb return effort he’ll take some beating. He raced wide and had no right to keep going but was finishing basically as well as anything as he got within half a length of Oscar Zulu. There’s not a lot of speed here and he is versatile so it could work in his favour. Good chance. 5. Bottega was excellent when resuming in the same race despite the form guide saying he ran fifth. He produced some nice sectionals and was beaten under two lengths. Fitter and drawn to be a bit more prominent if desired. He’s the one to fear. 4. Kirwan’s Lane is on the back-up after a solid win over Wheelhouse last week at the Randwick mile. Perhaps he’s meeting a notch above that galloper here but he’s hard to knock. 7. Bigboyroy was nothing short of ordinary when a beaten favourite in the Oscar Zulu race last start. He is usually consistent so he can be given another chance with the light weight but he is very costly to follow.
How to play it: Purple Sector to win
Race 7 –4:00PM SCHWEPPES HCP (1000m)
4. Dragonstone was taken out of his comfort zone on the pace second-up, there wasn’t any other option given his barrier there, but he also bumped into a smart one when subsequent Gosford Guineas winner Bacchanalia swept past. Back to 1000m in a race that looks to have genuine tempo he can easily bounce back to the form we saw first-up at Kembla. 5. Leo was a beaten favourite when resuming over the 1000m two weeks ago and his run behind The Bopper had more merit than it looks on paper. Gets the smother draw this time and he can be expected to be finishing strongly. 3. De Grawin didn’t really come up last time in with just the one placing in four starts. Prior to that she was building a nice record and all four wins have come at 1000m. Nice recent trial to say she’s in order and she has to be respected. 1. Van Giz loomed to win first-up in a huge effort coming from last when runner-up to The Bopper. She might want 1100m or so by now but it’s hard to leave her out of the discussion.
How to play it: Dragonstone to win.
Race 8 – 4:40PM ACY SECURITIES HCP (1550m)
1. Toomuchtobear is a real up-and-comer and you had to be impressed with his last to first win when resuming at Randwick two weeks ago. Ran outstanding sectionals and looked to have something left for later. Can only be fitter and even better suited by the rise in distance. Drawn a lot better here so can race hander, there’s just so much to like. 6. Speed Legend is very close to a win, he did a great job sitting on speed from a wide gate and only going down narrowly to Francesco Guardi. He’s right at his top now after four runs from a long spell and is a major player. 2. Canasta led them up in the same race and showed a bit more fight this time to run third about half a length away. Also just about ready to produce his best run this prep, he’ll look to lead and give a big sight. 3. For Valour has won three of his last four and led all the way at Canterbury over this trip last time out. Could measure up.
How to play it: Toomuchtobear to win.
Race 9 –5:20PM PETALUMA HCP (1300m)
2. Snitzonfire just might get a bit more control here than he’s had in his two starts since winning his first three outings. He’s been far from disgraced but at 1200m he hasn’t quickened when not able to find the lead. Beaten half a length in the Wyong Magic Millions last time, draws to find the fence and if that’s still holding up come this race he will take catching. 4. I Am Lethal is a promising horse who knuckled down strongly to deny Rubamos over 1400m on this track four weeks ago. The runner-up has since won. Trialled since then, claim helps and he’s a good chance. 6. Socialist was well supported and got the job done first-up from a break on this track and has also been given some time between runs. Expect she’ll be fitter and should handle the class rise. 8. Kanazawa is straight off a maiden win but it was an impressive one and while the form hasn’t really held up since that December 8 win his effort was still good. Respect.
How to play it: Snitzonfire to win.
Race 10 – 6:00PM SHARP EXTENSIVE IT HCP (1300m)
10. Head Legislator has to be a big improver on a very handy first-up showing in the Wyong Magic Millions. He was slowly out from the inside gate, settled last and made his run around the field to be beaten less than a length in fifth place. An extra 100m is a plus and if he can break with them this time he can settle handier. Looks hard to beat. 3. Rubamos is in career best form and was always on speed when scoring an easy Warwick Farm win just before Christmas. Not really much harder here, he’s drawn okay again and should be in the finish. 5. Queen Bellissimo is hard to leave out, her win in a Midway last time was strong after doing some work on speed. She’ll put herself in the race and is a definite chance. 11. Acrophobic is a very interesting runner. He’s having his first start for Cody Morgan, had form around Private Eye and Ellsberg in stakes company earlier this year and is a recent trial winner. Keep very safe.
How to play it: Head Legislator E/W.
Tips supplied by Racing NSW.
Full form and race replays available at racingnsw.com.au.
Sports news, results and expert commentary. Sign up for our Sport newsletter.