News

Ash Barty retires from tennis at 25: Instagram post reveals why she quit


Ash Barty has shocked tennis by making the decision to retire from the sport at just 25, months after winning the Australian Open.

Ash Barty has announced her shock retirement from professional tennis at just 25.

The Aussie champion announced the news in an Instagram post on Wednesday, as she uploaded a video of her chatting to former doubles partner and good friend Casey Dellacqua.

Watch Live Coverage of The 2022 Indian Wells Masters Tennis with beIN SPORTS on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

“Today is difficult and filled with emotion for me as I announce my retirement from tennis,” Barty wrote in the caption. “I wasn’t sure how to share this news with you so I asked my good friend @caseydellacqua to help me.

“I am so thankful for everything this sport has given me and leave feeling proud and fulfilled.

“Thank you to everyone who has supported me along the way, I’ll always be grateful for the lifelong memories that we created together.

“More to come tomorrow at my press conference.”

Barty’s decision to walk away from tennis has stunned the world. She leaves less than two months after winning the Australian Open — her third grand slam crown following titles at the French Open (2019) and Wimbledon (2021).

The Australian favourite retired once earlier in her career, quitting to play professional cricket. But she rediscovered her love for tennis and made an incredible comeback, storming to No. 1 in the world.

Barty became emotional when talking to Dellacqua to announce her huge decision on Wednesday.

“It’s hard to say, but I’m so happy and I’m so ready and I just know at the moment in my heart, for me as a person, this is right,” Barty said.

“I know I’ve done this (retired) before but in a very different feeling and I am so grateful to everything that tennis has given me.

“It’s given me all of my dreams, plus more, but I know that the time is right now for me to step away and chase other dreams and to put the racquets down.”

When asked “why now?” Barty said achieving major goals of winning Wimbledon and the Australian Open within six months of each other convinced her the time was right to pursue other dreams.

“It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a long time and I’ve had a lot of incredible moments in my career that have been pivotal moments,” Barty said.

“Wimbledon last year changed a lot for me as a person and for me as an athlete when you work so hard your whole life for one goal, and I’ve been able to share that with so many incredible people.

“But to be able to win Wimbledon, which was my dream — the one, true dream I wanted in tennis — that really changed my perspective. I just had that gut feeling after Wimbledon and had spoken to my team quite a lot about it.

“There was just a little part of me that wasn’t quite satisfied, wasn’t quite fulfilled. And then came the challenge of the Australian Open.

“That for me just feels like the perfect way — my perfect way — to celebrate what an amazing journey my tennis career has been.

“As a person, this is what I want. I want to chase after some other dreams that I’ve always wanted to do, and always had that really healthy balanace, but I’m really, really excited.”

Earlier this month the three-time major winner announced she was pulling out of big WTA tournaments in the United States and planned to take some time away from the tour. But nobody was expecting her break to be permanent.

In February, Barty said she was going to play at Indian Wells — often described as tennis’ “fifth major” — but then backflipped weeks later by announcing she in fact wouldn’t be heading to the Californian desert.

Barty also revealed earlier in March she was not going to compete at a WTA Tour event in Miami — another WTA 1000-ranked tournament.

In a statement released by the WTA Tour at the time, Barty said she pulled out because her body was not up to it.

“Unfortunately my body has not recovered the way I’d hoped after the Australian Open and I have not been able to adequately prepare for Indian Wells and Miami,” Barty said.

“I don’t believe I am at the level necessary to win these events and as a result I have decided to withdraw from both tournaments.

“I love these events and am sad not to be there competing but getting my body right must be my focus.”

Barty would have been seeking a third straight title in Miami later in March and said she hoped to be back on court representing Australia in the Billie Jean King Cup in April.

Originally published as Ash Barty announces shock retirement from tennis at 25



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.